Monday, July 10, 2006

Procrastination
I know long time and no hear from me. ONYXbeauty is on my to-do list everyday. But time, day-today responsibilities, plain ole laziness but most of all procrastination has kept me from posting. I'm the biggest procrastinator I know. I let bills sit and then boom late fees or I'm rushing to pay online. And everyone who knows me know I love to sleep. So yep, I hit the snooze button and get up at the last possible moment, and even though I hate to rush I usually wind up rushing or leaving the house w/o make-up cause I just had to sleep. I left for work at 8:30 this AM and while walking to the train, I called my best friend (we talk everyday). As we were chatting she mentioned are you close to the office? " Nope I am on my way to the train station to get to work, (I live an hour away) yep I 'm gonna be late, I'm having one of those mornings." Shelly responded "When you start teaching you can't be late to class." (This Fall, I'm teaching a college credit class, yep I'm adding to my repertoire of jobs (smile)

Procrastination is my worse habit and it leads to some many other habits. Like poor time management. So as I sit here pondering what next to tackle in my journey towards wholeness I realize I need to conquer procrastination and learn the value of time management so I can enjoy my life (and sleep:) without worry. And most of all really use my Franklin Covey planner.

With you on your journey,

Tarshel

Here is the text to an email sent to me by a colleague:


Day-Timers Time Management Study: It Pays to Plan!

In our survey of 1,000 American workers, we found that most people do not write schedules and prioritize tasks for daily work on a regular basis. However, there are significant differences among workers who plan their day versus those who don’t! For example:

  • PLANNERS: Often have professional job titles (doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.) or are top-level managers.
  • NON-PLANNERS: Hold more manufacturing and manual labor jobs.
  • PLANNERS: Typically have personal incomes over $10,000 higher than non-planners and household incomes nearly $13,000 more.
  • NON-PLANNERS: Usually earn less than people who organize and plan their days.
  • PLANNERS: Participate more regularly in exercise and fitness activities and have many health-related goals.
  • NON-PLANNERS: Are not as likely to exercise or participate in any fitness activities.
  • PLANNERS: Usually have written goals and prioritize tasks 3 or more times a week.
  • NON-PLANNERS: Hardly ever keep written schedules or prioritize tasks.
  • PLANNERS: More often rate themselves as extremely or very successful.
  • NON-PLANNERS: Generally regard themselves as not very or not at all successful.

In addition, 48% of our respondents report spending more time in a typical day reacting to problems or doing unplanned tasks, while 52% spend more time completing planned tasks or proactively planning for future projects. But does this productivity factor make a difference in people’s lives? Yes, and the impact is surprising:

PROACTIVE workers – people who make things happen – are more likely than their reactive counterparts to:

  • Have a college degree
  • Report accomplishing more of their planned daily work (72% versus 54%)
  • Have a written schedule and prioritize tasks at least 3 times a week
  • Have written goals in the areas of finances, self-development, social life, and retirement
  • Exercise 3-4+ times a week and indicate achieving their health-related goals
  • Do no work outside normal working hours
  • Report an excellent/very good health status
  • Rate themselves as extremely or very productive
  • Rate themselves as extremely or very happy

REACTIVE workers – people who wait for things to happen to them – are more likely than their reactive counterparts to:

  • Always or frequently feel rushed
  • Get coffee/tea and tackle the easiest task in the first half hour at work
  • Spend more time (14%) in meetings
  • Check/reply to e-mail and voice messages at home outside normal working hours
  • Report a fair/poor health status
  • Have been diagnosed with/treated for both depression and anxiety
  • Rate themselves as not very or not at all happy

No comments: